Wednesday 9 September 2015

Grade 9 Art - Day 2

Artistic Impulse!!

Where does the desire to create originate?

We observe children who make sculptures, pictures, and model buildings before they learn to read and write.  Children trace images of the earth, build snowmen and sandcastles, decorate their faces, the walls of their house, sidewalks, etc. According to Laurie Schneider Adams in "Art Across Time" this may stem from a desire to "Impose order on disorder and to create form from formlessness".

While a child's sandcastle may not compare to the pyramids, both express a natural impulse to build.

For adults, creating art is a continuation of our child-like impulse to play.  Picasso struggled to learn math because every time he looked at the number 7...he saw an upside down nose!

Why do we have an artistic impulse?

From the text we learn that we have a wish to leave something behind after we die.  Michelangelo said his works were his children.  We may also wish to preserve out likeness after death (portraiture).

Here are some student answers to the same question:

- it's what differentiates me from others...it makes me unique in some way
- you see amazing art and you want to create your own definition for a word that exists
- it's an emotional outlet (dance, music, etc.)
- one other form of creativity to express what you believe in
- I get inspired by music and books and try to create a visual representation of what I have heard/read, in my own way, in a different style
- it helps me to relax
- I doodle to help my mind wander

No comments:

Post a Comment