Tuesday 3 December 2013

The 3D Printer has Arrived!!

GDCI has an exciting new piece of technology - A Makerbot 3D Printer!!!

When the boxes first arrived...I have to admit I was a little nervous about the set-up!


 I was sure to follow the directions carefully.  I felt like a novice...new tech can be a little intimidating!


Fortunately, it was a pretty smooth install.  In about 20 minutes the Makerbot was up and running!


The students all gathered around. For some, myself included, this was the first time ever seeing an object printed in three dimensions!


For an initial test print, I chose an object that would have real world usability, though perhaps not for me :). We printed a comb.


I may sound like such a newbie, but it was pretty awesome to watch the printer come to life, the spools slowly feeding filament into the extruders.  I realized we were going to need to learn what the components of the printer were.



Here's Hayden with the comb:


And Mackenzie and Christina:


I began to see the irony of choosing a comb as our first 3D print.....



We decided to try printing an architectural structure as our second print.  Wall street!


Trying a cross-curricular approach, we got a Klein Bottle 3D imagery:



The print should be ready for tomorrow!

All things told, it was an exciting first day with the Makerbot!  Stay tuned as we learn together, printing with greater complexity and creativity!




No comments:

Post a Comment